of Service to Asia's
Gay & Lesbian Community!
Utopia Gaydar User Search
|Travel & Resources: TAIWAN
Please help us keep these listings current and correct. Special thanks to jessicazylee, HKtoTaiwan, MrGary, Birdie, homoequus, gayrice, freegayn, Ricardo S., Pierre, Leeky, James, Aleck, Richard K., Vincent D., Will, Jason B., Stever, Rachel K., Pete, Don M., Bernd, Kenny L., A. Wong, M.H., David S., John D., Michel H., Robin, Marc M., Greg, Webster, Phillip E. and Andrew W.!
Taiwan - free and natural - not only filled with tropical beauty and geographic splendor, but it is one of Asia's most progressive countries for LGBT rights, and certainly the most liberal of the Chinese diaspora. Not only does the government of Taipei print up its own free guide to the gay community, but school children are taught about homosexuality and tolerance for sexual minorities. Taiwan's first Gay Pride Festival was held on Sunday, June 29, 1997 at 2-28 Memorial Park (New Park) in Taipei (a favorite cruise spot at night). Over 30 gay organizations chose to celebrate in the sunlight at this location of Pai Hsien-Yung's famous gay novel, Crystal Boys.
Taiwanese gays are adept at electronic cruising. Even so, the quality and selection of gay venues has increased noticeably in the last decade, along with a refreshing openness towards gays and lesbians in society. Young Taiwanese are launching trendy and stylish businesses all over the island nation. Wednesdays are considered "little weekends" and clubs may be a bit busier on that night than other weekdays.
Discover what gay Japanese, South Koreans and Chinese gays have already discovered: Taiwan is a fun, sexy and relaxed gay holiday destination. Whether you want a romantic weekend get-away, an endless variety of fresh and tasty local foods, gorgeous and dramatic nature, trendy clubs open late for partying, or shopping sprees at the latest designer malls, Taiwan should be on your LGBT holiday itinerary in Asia!
Taiwan continues to deport HIV+ foreigners, disregarding their human rights. If you're poz, do not tell the visa office. If you
need to get tested for a work visa, do an anonymous test first.
- Lesbian listings
- Men in Taiwan message forum
- Taiwan Gay & Lesbian News
- Taiwan Gay Scene Updates message forum
- Travel in Taiwan message forum
- Additional links for Taiwan GLBT information.
Taiwan Listings by City:
Other cities and provinces are listed below...
G&L Publishing Corporation, Suite 9, 11/F #20 Minchiuan West Rd, 2541-1213, email. New Taiwanese gay magazine displaying the full Monty.
- Tung Yen Wu Chi (Gay Speak Out)
PO Box 112-637, Taipei, FAX 367-3205. Quarterly gay magazine launched on Jan. 15, 1996.
- AIDS/HIV organizations and information
Sex/Gender Rights Association Taiwan
8251-0105. A coalition of lesbians and gays, transgendered persons, multi-sexuals, sexual dissidents, gender/sexual rights activists, AIDS activists, human rights activists, students, lawyers, teachers working for gender issues and sexual rights. Their goal is to dismantle the discrimination and oppression of gender and sexual minorities in the social institutions of the family, the education system, politics, the economy and the law.
Info on Taiwan's annual pride festivities. Here's a scene from the Taiwan LGBT Pride Parade 2008...
Taiwan Tongzhi Hotline Association
12/F #70 Roosevelt Rd, Sec 2 (near Guting MRT), 2392-1969, email. Founded in 1998, TTHA became the first nationally registered LGBT association in the country. They are located in a large, prime location, with offices and facilities for hosting meetings of various LGBT groups. Their private hotlines are open Thu-Mon, from 7pm-10pm, with three full-time workers and 40 volunteers to answer calls. They have an education committee than manages programs in schools, and also programs aimed at AIDS/HIV prevention. TTHA has also formed alliances with other tongzhi groups and participates in gay rights demonstrations. Their mission remains the eradication of prejudice against queer people and full civil rights for sexual marginals.
Chia-Yi -- area code (886-5)
4/F 424 Min Chiuan Rd (between Min Sheng St and Jung Yi St, 100m from Zhong Zheng Park), 216-7021. Gay karaoke pub with friendly owner who speaks a bit of English. The clientele is mixed (ages, genders). Open daily from 9pm onwards.
- Zhong Zheng Park
Between Guo-hua St, Ming-quan Rd , Zhong-yi St, and Bei-rong St. From the train station, walk along Zhong-shan Rd, turn left at Guo-hua St, and keep going till you see the entrance (about 10 minutes).
- B1 640 Chui-Yang Rd, in the basement, 222-3155. It is not within walking distance from the train station, so you'll need a taxi. It is on the same road as the Far East and the Shinguang Mitsukoshi department stores. Very small and clean. Despite its size, it is worth checking out if you're in town on the weekend. The staff are very welcoming and friendly, but don't speak English. They have a dry sauna and a steam room as well as showers and exercise equipment. Two computers for patrons to use, and lots of books and magazines in Chinese. There are two rest areas with beds, two TV rooms (usually showing variety shows and talent contests), and one private room with a door. They supply toothpaste, toothbrush, and unlimited small towels. There is also a condom in each locker. They are open Fri from 5pm-midnight, as well as Sat and Sun from noon-midnight. Although they are fairly busy on Fri nights, they are often busiest on Sat afternoons.
Chang-Hua -- area code (886-4)
Population is 225,000 (that's about 9,000 Utopians).
2/F 17 Kong-men Rd, 724 -3131. Walk along Guang-fu Rd from train station for about 300 meters, make a right turn at Zhong-shan Rd, keep going and make another right turn at Kong-men Rd at the Cultural Center.
Hsin-Chu -- area code (886-3)
Population is about 400,000 (that's about 16,000 Utopians).
Gisneyland UTOPIAN VERIFIED OCT 2011
An LGBTQ community center located close to the Hsinchu Train Station, on Zhongzheng St. It's on 11/F above SASA (door is on the side). Very open and busy community center with frequent events.
- Circular intersection at Easter Gate
From train station, go west along Zhong-zheng Rd about 100 meters.
Hualien -- area code (886-3)
Population is about 110,000 (that's about 5,000 Utopians).
- Lover's Karaoke
211 Guo-Sheng 1st Rd, 833-9097. Call to confirm the address and ask for directions. A very basic karaoke bar, nothing trendy or flashy. From outsite it doesn't look like a gay venue. Normally open after 10pm and going on till very late. Although the place is very friendly, and people are good company, the owner and most of the clients do not speak English, so it is better to go with someone local or someone who understands Chinese.
- Zhong Shan Park
Guo-lian 1 Rd. Walking distance from the train station. Some native Taiwanese guys. Especially cruisy on the weekends.
- 99 Guo Xing 1 St, 834-5381. A small gay sauna operating near the Train Station. As with many places in Taiwan, the spelling of street name varies. You may see it listed as Guo-Shing 1 or Guo-Sing 1. If you can recognize Chinese characters, it is the same GUO as country, and the same XING as Gao Xing (happy). It is also a little tricky to find. When you come out of the station, you will see a large grassy area in front of you that stretches all the way down to the big main street (Guo Lian 1). Off to the left you will see a small park. If you walk towards the park, you will see Guo Shing 1 St. It borders the park at the end nearest the station. The main street (Guo Lian 1) borders the other end. From the train station, turn left onto Guo Shing 1 St and walk past the park. The sauna is a little more than a block and a half down this street on your left hand side. It is very discreet so watch the building numbers. They have showers, a small steam room, TV room, lots of places to hang out and chat, and a few private rooms. They supply razors, toothbrush and toothpaste as well as towels and condoms. They also have two computers for patrons to use. The patrons vary in size, shape, age and attitude, but most seem pretty outgoing and daring. Busiest on Wed, Fri, Sat and Sun.
KAOHSIUNG -- area code (886-7)
Keelung -- area code (886-2)
Population is over 400,000 (that's 16,000 Utopians).
- Keelung Night Market
You've got to find a friend to drive you here, but don't miss the night market in this lively port city about 30 minutes north of Taipei. Stretched over a few city blocks are some of Taiwan's most fantastic and colorful food vendors offering everything from freshly cracked open sea urchin, deep-fried vegetable sandwiches, giant heaps of crab claw rice, and all manner of edible extrusions, infusions, fritters, ices, liquids, crunchies and munchies. Packed with locals who line up at the best stalls.
Magong City (Penghu Islands)
A collection of 90 small islands also known as the Pescadores.
Li Bar UTOPIAN VERIFIED AUG 2011
Downtown area, one or two streets over from the main street, nearby the main bus station and a few shops down from Liquid Sports restaurant. It is easy to identify from the rainbow flag that is painted above it.
- The cycleway/walkway that runs along the inner sea from the rainbow bridge. Walk away from the rainbow bridge to the last turn near the very end of this path. This is a pleasant 30 minute walk. At dusk you are likely to meet handsome young local gays eager to chat and share their local knowledge and traveling tips with you while you enjoy the view and fresh sea air. UTOPIAN VERIFIED AUG 2011
TAICHUNG -- area code (886-4)
TAINAN -- area code (886-6)
TAIPEI -- area code (886-2)
Taitung -- area code (886-8)
Population is about 110,000 (that's close to 5,000 Utopians).
279 Luo-yang St , 935-9255.
- Beach Park
At the end of Da-tong Rd, turn right and go to the end.
Taoyuan City -- area code (886-3)
Population is over 360,000 (that's about 15,000 Utopians).
3/F, 197 Min-chuan Rd, 331-7225. Near Lu-zhu big temple bus stop.
Boss Men's Club
2/F, No.224, Chung Cheng Rd, 337-1870, 337-2196
2/F, No. 4, Min-zhu Rd, 335-4148, 334-1010.
No. 33 Nan Hua St, 339-5798. Gay and lesbian night on Fri.
B/1, 197 Min-chuan Rd, 338-3478.
Comments from Utopians:
"If you're looking for M4M massage here, do an internet search for 'Bear Spa, ' a group of masseurs who run a venue used on a one-by-one basis. The owner of the business speaks English, as did my masseur, but apparently the other masseurs don't. You need to ring the business' number and cannot approach individual masseurs. I had a really great massage from my masseur and happily recommend this them." -- bear4unz, Jan 10, 2013
- Zhong Zheng Park
Behind the Art Museum and parking lot, walking distance from train station along Yuan-hua Rd.
- Tai Shi Sauna
No. 137 Chung Hua Rd (at Nan Hua St), 335-5112,3.
- Xin Tao-yuan
3/F 5th Lane 182 Min-zhu Rd, 335-3175,7. Fifteen minutes walk from the train station. Open 24 hours.
Zhongli City -- area code (886-3)
Population is over 360,000 (that's about 15,000 Utopians).
- 2009 Inn
No. 3, Lane 76, Sec 1, Zhongyang W. Rd, 422-0091, email. Private pub for gay friends where they can release their true feelings. Utopia Member Discount
- Railway Station facilities. Also: on the weekends hundreds of Thai people (many of them very handsome and hunky!) spend hours drinking beer in an area opposite the Station and they all use the free-of-charge facilities.
- Not far from the Railway Station, going right, there are two Bus Stations where people also meet in the facilities.
Help Utopia improve the lives of Asian LGBTs by including your voice in this 7th annual survey.
join with us now
Sunny in the park at the 2012 International Day Against Homophobia & Transphobia, Hong Kong.
Live your dreams of India with Pink Vibgyor tours for GLBT travelers...
get the full story